And yesterday makes 4

Just in case you were thinking I had an amazing horse and was an amazing rider, let me throw this at you!

I have fallen off my horse and a pony a total 4 times in the last 11 days.

Imma break this down.


  • 11 days ago I was schooling in the outdoor dressage arena. Dassah spooked during our long-and-low warmup and I came off at M. 
    • Thanks to my diligent efforts to stay on, the saddle slipped and she made a fast exit at A to go running around a front pasture with the saddle underneath her. 
    • This is not the first time that has happened. 
    • Last time that happened, it was at a show two years ago. So you know, at least it wasn't at a show? 
    • Also. Yes. Am tightening up my girth more now. 
  • 8 days ago during our last mini-trials bestie AC and I visited a friend of hers. Who happens to have a daughter who shows in mounted games on a couple of ponies. 2 glasses of wine and I jumped at the invitation to ride one. So off I go on an 11 hand Welsh pony. 
    • I fell off after handing off a baton. 
    • You read that right. 
    • Also, saddle didn't move. 
    • But apparently one doesn't just go straight from riding a beefy Appendix to riding a 2x4 with legs and expect the center of gravity and balance to be the same. 
    • I should have landed on my feet but my balance was a bit affected by the 2nd glass of wine. 
    • 14/10 would totes do mounted games on that very same pony. 
  • 4 days ago I set up one of Wofford's gymnastic exercises to make 2'11 boring. 
    • I forgot you don't raise the 2nd element first but the 3rd. 
    • I eyeballed and found out afterwards I had raised the 2nd element to 3'3"
    • Dassah braverly mastered the first two elements and then said, "OH SH#T" and ducked out left because we were NOT ready for the oxer. 
    • On 2nd attempt I valiantly tried to keep her straight but she again said, "HARD PASS" and I came off. Missed the oxer and landed on grass. So win?
    • We went back through the grid at the original heights with no problem. So then (again, failing to raise the poles as per Wofford) I raised the 2nd vertical to 2'11" and lowered the oxer by one hole. We nailed it just fine. 
    • ALSO - I had a friendly vertical set at Training and she was delighted to jump it. 
      • Height not a problem, just operator error. 
  • Yesterday at an xc schooling off-site, I let RedMare/Dassah/HUSSY/DEVILHEIFER/etc grab the bit and lock her neck on presentation to a looky cabin. She went right, I went left and nailed the landing. Trainer M politely noted that maybe next time, don't let her drive. 
    • 2nd presentation went fine.
    • She jumped anything and everything else I presented to her (albeit, with some tough love -"Ditch of Death*"). Granted, I took over driving responsibilities... 
So. Anyone else beat my record of falls within 11 days?




*The Ditch of Death however, was an other story. Someone (cough DevilHeifer cough) needed a come-to-Jesus moment over the ditches. Funny enough - she couldn't care less about the ditches at home. This ditch though - this one had a troll we couldn't see. So it took Trainer M, bestie AC, and myself to calmly but emphatically teach DevilHeifer that ditches are NBD - Mini-Trial this Saturday has a ditch so will report back!

Comments

  1. Oy that is quite the unlucky streak :/ I feel like that’s how it goes with falls tho.... like nothing for a long time then suddenly I can’t stick even the merest scoot. Two summers ago when I was horse shopping it seemed like I fell off literally everything I rode - including a couple sales horses. Whoops.... hopefully you can buck the trend (not literally tho plz!) soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bahahahahah "Buck the trend" - laughed out loud at that.

      It's like kissing a bunch of frogs until you get your Prince Charlie! Only I think it probably hurts way more than kissing a frog....

      Delete
  2. Yikes -- that is no bueno! Glad you're okay :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Fingers crossed I don't repeat this anytime soon.

      Delete
  3. Cause oxers aren't stressful enough sometimes! AND THE SAME JUMP?!! Kudos to you for getting over that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts