Concussion: The Surprisingly Uneventful Tale of My November

I'm not one to participate in sports where I may get injured and be unable to ride.

Exhibit A: My dad has been hounding me for years to go down-hill skiing where he and his fiancee are instructors and I have been resolute in declining those invitations. SO many things could go wrong. Dad says he could teach me how to ski better. I say it's either cross country skiing or no skiing. #stillbitteraboutyouleavingmom #yesIambeingemotionallyimmature. AND ALSO, it's strapping on two sticks and flinging yourself over a snow-covered ridge to what's supposed to be a fun 3 minutes dodging trees, hellions-on-snowboards, fellow skiers, and babies skiing with unfathomable ease, just to end up gliding to a stop in front of all those people who watched you hurtle down the hill, and stand there now streaming in sweat. .AND that's after waiting/shuffling in line at the ski lift and then enduring a cold, windy, barely-strapped-in-if-at-all ride up the hill. #notmycupoftea

That said, I happily hop on a 1000lb animal to go hurtling across miles of hills, stone fences, trees, ditches, ramps, banks, tables, through water, etc.

Now, I choose to run* and strength train as my non-horse fitness program. Could I get injured running? Yes and I have, but I do like to run and strength train, so I'm okay with that risk. I like how I feel after running and training.

I do admit to liking a bit of footie (soccer). Ex and I picked it up a couple years or so into our marriage and, having never played before, we spent about 4-5 years on the same intramural coed team and I, frankly, had a ball. I get to run around, use my muscles, develop some foot-eye coordination, and since I wasn't good, didn't have the pressure to score goals. I just sat back on defense and helped out where I could. NEVER had an injury while being, so I've been told, a solid member of the team, so it wasn't like I was just sitting out there making daisy-chains.

I stopped playing during the last half of my master's program and then again when Ex and I decided to divorce.

Right before I left for India, a co-worker invited me to play on his intramural team. Teams always need girls and I have been itching to play again. My first game was the Sunday after my return and I had a blast. Turns out I can still stop the ball, pass adequately (most of the time), and generally do a good job on defense. Woot for teaching old dogs new tricks!

Jokes on me though. During my third game (so third Sunday playing), I was battling it out with this big dude and next thing I know, I was flung down and wacked my head brutally on the turf-covered concrete floor. Stars shot through my brain and my head screamed in pain. Compared to this, any time I've fallen off a horse is like laying my head down on a pillow. My first thought after getting up was, "where the f*** is my helmet? How the hell did I hit my head without my helmet on?" Once I remembered I was not previously astride my RedMare, I got pissed because what a waste of a concussion - if I'm going to get hurt, it sure as hell better be a horse injury.

As for the next part, do not do this: I was confused, tired, nauseous, disoriented, and with a pounding head so naturally I drove.myself.home. I was too proud to admit I was hurting and my team too new to know how stubborn I can be. Also on the "do not do" list? GOING TO BED WITHOUT TELLING ANYONE TO WAKE YOU UP.

Thankfully I did wake up, just to a head that felt the size of a hot-air balloon stuffed inside a china shop with the bull raging through, i.e. intense pain and swelling. My brother drove me to the doctor who confirmed I had a moderate concussion. I spent the next week in bed sleeping. I'm just now back to full-time work (so it's been three weeks since the soccer-wreck) and still dealing with headaches that flare up out of no-where (ok, fine, it's stress. it's always stress) and mild "out-of-it-ness."

I'm not allowed to exercise, ride, or play soccer until mid-December and frankly, I'm perfectly okay with that. Nothing has been as scary as losing the ability to think. I'm fine waiting - each day feels better and I'm in no rush to risk anything. Thankfully it's cold and dark outside and my horse doesn't care if she has to eat all day #hashayishappy #sheisgettingfatandsassy #jkshehasalwaysbeensassy

Also. It gives Detective Inspector James Hathaway of the Oxford Police Force, and I some much needed together time together.

Image result for james hathaway oxford police
Let us all swoon together now, shall we?

Moral of the story: Don't get a concussion. It sucks.




*My ex once referred to my running as "jogging" and I nearly divorced him on the spot. Years later, I can admit that maaaybe sometimes it's jogging but NOT REALLY ANDREW (#nothisrealname) BECAUSE I'M RUNNING YOU SELF-RIGHTEOUS ARMCHAIR CRITIC


Comments

  1. yikes, that's awful :( hope you're feeling better asap!!!! concussions are scary, yo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma! It's been surreal, to say the least!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, I identified with this on so many levels! Four Novembers ago, I got knocked down in the field by a charging Gracie (she was not the horse then that she is now) and I hit *the only damn rock in the whole entire freaking 4-acre field* with the back of my head. A lot of blood, several sutures and an ER visit later, I was diagnosed with a moderate concussion that left me riddled with on & off severe vertigo (not headaches; it was weird) for almost two months. I was able to ride again without my world spinning by Christmas.

    Losing the ability to think is indeed terrifying. I hope the time flies and you're back to normal in no time!

    P.S. I too will bite anyone that calls my running "jogging." ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! I went for my first RUN yesterday and it felt like freedom!
      With horses, it's always the "only damn thing in the area," right?!!! Thankfully no blood or sutures for me - head injuries bleed SO much, I'm sure it looked like a bloodbath for you! SO glad you are okay now!

      Delete
  3. ugh like you my first concussion was not riding horses and I drove myself home. Also I do not recommend getting a second concussion like I did (this time while riding horses also drove myself home) the problem with concussions is you usually don't realize you are concussed in the moment because you are concussed! Unfortunately a lot of people who are around us also can't tell either. >:[

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, how are our brains SO delicate? I mean, it's a little scary to finally realize how dangerous knocking your head around can be.

      Agree on the "can't tell either" - it makes me think of people who are disabled but you can't see it - so we don't offer the empathy and compassion we should.

      Will try not to get second concussion. You keep away from the third!

      Delete
  4. LOL on a waste of concussion. Horse people are so weird. Hopefully you're feeling back to better soon! There's no rushing a concussion though so don't guilt yourself into moving too fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true though, right?

      Trying not to guilt myself - RedMare thinks vacation is super awesome and can we do this all the time?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts